by Sr. Julie Vieira, IHM
The scripture readings for Divine Mercy Sunday are full of the Easter hope and joy that we celebrate just one week ago. The readings serve as a kind of “action plan” for the Christian journey.
1) Take care of yourself and others, especially the poor and vulnerable.
2) Be mindful of and thankful to God for the small and large acts of goodness, love, and mercy that you experience.
(Psalm 118:2-4, 13-15, 22-24)
3) Look to Jesus the Christ for encouragement and inspiration as you encounter the challenges and uncertainties of life.
(1 John 5:1-6)
4) Remember that any moment — including moments of weakness, doubt, or failure — can be an occasion for God’s grace to emerge.
5) Live every day with conviction in your faith and in your calling from God.
Spend some time reflecting on and praying with the readings today and on the action plan that they contain. In what ways are you living this action plan? What areas do you need to work on? Pray Thomas’s prayer in thanksgiving for this time with God: “My Lord and my God.”
Sister Julie Vieira, IHM, is a thirty-something-year-old Catholic nun who writes daily at her blog, A Nun’s Life.
Filed under: From the Pews in the Back |